Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I just don't know..

... about this swimming stuff. One day you think it's all going swimmingly.. haha.. the next you're thrashing around with the elegance of a brick with arms. Today was a brick with arms day. I started off with some of my drills which were OK and then I thought I'd just do some swimming. CJ did warn me that if you get too used to your fins then it feels hard to swim without them and that was the case today. I was going to do my 15 min time trial again to see if I had improved but decided against it when I realised I was more likely to drown myself than anything else. After a few hundered metres though things improved and so I did another couple of hundred where things seemed a lot better. Practice is the key of course!

Compared to running, swimming seems like a lot of hassle really. By the time you've got to the pool, done your swim, showered, done your hair and eveything, it seems like half the day has gone. My long hair and swimming definitely don't mix but any suggestion of cutting it shorter is usually met with very stern looks from Mr Lulu! Running is a lot easier if you ask me! Not helped today by getting up late, being disorganised and leaving my jacket at home and just feeling blah.. why can't I stay in bed all day..

4 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger miners said...

Can't agree with you more lulu - I've never been a big fan of the pool for those reasons you mention (especially the bit about doing your hair - they never have a power point in there for the hair dryer either)

I also don't really enjoy swimming up and down repetitively, so that can make it harder to get yourself there. Persevere though lulu - it's great for you, and you've done really well to get yourself at the level that you're doing now.

Incidentally, you might want to join the new "sans-fins" club that CJ and I have started. Try kicking without them (behind a kickboard) for 1 or 2 laps, and THEN see how your swimming feels when you can add the arms back in :)

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger allrounder said...

swimming is my time to rest my legs so it's all arms for me...i think i swim better without using my legs anyway (i feel really unco!)...stick with it though...

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I agree with the fins bit. When I have actually swam of late I don't allow myself to use the fins till the cool down. Keep on going though because I found the breathing actually helped my running as well.

TA

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Dump the fin Lulu :-)

Stick with it Lulu. Trust me, like your running, all your hard work in the pool will pay off !

J.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home