Saturday, December 31, 2005

Looking back and forward

A quick post on the year behind and the year ahead: It is NY's Eve after all!

2005: the good things!
  1. The first year when I have trained consistently all year, without a major injury. I ran at least 3 times each week and in the latter part of the year this was consistently 4 or 5 times per week.
  2. Finishing the SMH Half Marathon. I'd been wanting to run a half for a few years but whenever I attempted to step up the mileage, got injured. Thanks to the trusty orthotics and large physio bills I made it to the start.... and to the finish. A very satisfying experience.
  3. Doing my first City to Surf with the company of my running buddies Wobbly Man, Jen and the Owl, and for a while Caro. They towed me across the finish line when I was feeling decidedly wobbly myself.
  4. Starting this blog and the friendships and support this has given me. It's been a great part of my motivation to keep on training, so thank you everyone who has read and commented.
  5. Training with SWEAT has also provided me with new friendships and a further source of encouragement and motivation. I'll be back at the back in the NY!
  6. Running new PB's for 8km (47.08) and 5km(28.25) this year.

2005: The not so good

  1. Mr Lulu has not had a good year since tearing his calf in the SMH. Hopefully 2006 will be a better year for him and we can do some more runs together.. if I can get a bit faster!
  2. Having some health issues, which are still unresolved, and which have me feeling very fatigued and lacking in endurance at times.
  3. A few disappointing race times.. but as Don Juan would say :"That's running!"

If that's all I can find to complain about then I think it's been a pretty bloody good year :)

2006: What's next

At this stage I want to consolidate on last year. This means consistent training and doing more races so that I get more practiced in pacing, and pushing myself during races, as well as not getting so wound up about specific events. I don't really have any desire to run a marathon at this stage (never say never!) and will stick to the shorter distances this year.

It's also pretty clear that one of the things I need to do to really improve my running is to lose some more weight. Although I have lost some weight this year I have been a bit half hearted about it and so the first 3 months of 2006 are going to focus on weight loss and building up my endurance base and hopefully resolving outstanding health issues. I have an appointment with Dr Ludka in the second week of Jan so I'm hoping that will provide some answers.

So a few running related goals:

  1. To train consistently and without injury all year (at least 4-5 times per week)
  2. To lose at least 8kgs
  3. To run the races in my race schedule
  4. To PB in 10km and half marathon times (realistic goals I think are: 55mins for 10km and 2 hr 5 mins for HM)
  5. To maintain my Pilates and gym work to continue building core, glute and leg strength; This means at least 4 visits to the gym or a Pilates session each week.

Sounds like a plan to me!

Thanks again to all of you who have bothered to read my ramblings and it has made a huge difference to me to have running and blogging buddies and I hope to share lots of your successes with you in 2006.. Bring it on!

12 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Woo Hoo!!! I got bubbles of excitment reading that post! Lulu you have achieved sooo much... make sure you take time to reflect on how far you have come :-) You are very determined and I am sure 2006 will be a year of Pb's and lots of fun! I look forward to sweating it out together at the park! so heres to a year of shrinking Lulu, well behaved calves/shins/knees, PB's, good wine and lots of laughs! Thanks for your friendship and support!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

"That's running!"

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Very good post, putting it in perspective, and especially well done on an outstanding year.

The goals look good and achievable. Losing weight helps make the times come down. And even I didn't say you should lose weight, I can't believe how diplomatic and smooth I am.

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also focusing on loosing some kilos in the new year. I will keep an eye on your progress if you will keep an eye on mine.

Good luck and thanks for all your blog support. Greatly appreciated.

Big new year running hug...

wt

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Wow, you really have had a great year Lulu! Here's hoping 2006 is gonna be even better.

Maybe see you at that Lindt Cafe sometime soon :-)

Until then, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

Ese fue un buen analisis del año, en realidad has sido bastante constante.

Espero que logres tus metas para el proximo ano, quizas si no corrieras tan rapido seria menor el riesgo de lesiones, no?

Muachas felicidades para el ano que seguro ya comenzo en Australia!!!!

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger the_en4cer said...

Happy New Year and good luck with all your goals for '06! Hope to meet you somewhere, sometime during the year.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger speedygeoff said...

That was a good year. You have achieved so much. Here's to a 2006 full of good times!

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Shane said...

Congrats on a awesome 2005, you definently achieved some great feats. Im sure that 2006 will be even bigger for you both.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Jen said...

What a fantastic year you've had Lulu - and with those goals & objectives, I just know that 2006 is going to be even better !

Thank you so much for your advice, support, encouragement, Lindt cafe visits, laughs and wine over the last 12 months.

I'm really looking forward to the return of our Sunday long runs ! Bring it on :-)

Jxx

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Good onya, Lulu. A great post to start the year. I hope the positives continue to swamp the negs :-)

sfG

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Aki said...

Good on you for your huge achievements in 06 Lulu, will be following and sending good running vibes for you to pb in your 10k and half races. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home