Sunday, January 15, 2006

Duracell girl, grass run and a gourmet walk

It's been a busy weekend as it's Johnny's last weekend before we have to send him back to the cold and grey days of Blighty.. and he's not happy about it; sadly we were unable to find him an Australian woman to marry in the short time available to us!

Saturday
I enjoyed a nice sleep in on Saturday and decided to go down to Clovelly beach in the afternoon to do some water running. Johnny was already cooking himself to a nice lobster pink when Mr lulu and I arrived just after 3pm. The boys went off for a snorkel while I strapped on my flotation belt and started off on some water running. My session consisted of:
5 mins warm up
1.30 hard 30 secs easy x5
1.30 rest
1.30 hard 30 secs easy x5
5 mins steady
3 mins cool down

Meanwhile Mr lulu and Johnny were observing from the shore and said that I looked like a little Duracell bunny, water running whilst people were milling around me and I was turning to avoid swimmers and snorkellers. It was a bit busy but apart from that it was a very pleasant workout. I didn't have to worry about running before it got too hot and although my heartrate was up to a good level I didn't end up feeling hot and exhausted as the water kept me cool. Mr lulu took my belt and had a try of the water running too and I could see what he meant about being Duracell girl when I saw him doing it! You do look a little strange. I much prefer it to swimming though; you don't have to get your hair wet, you can look at the scenary and I had a few little chats with fellow water users!

Sunday
This morning was my try-out run on grass and I'm very pleased to report that I did 30 mins around Queen's Park with no knee pain at all; Yippee! I'll see what it's like in the morning before I celebrate too much though as last time the next day my itb was sore. Hopefully Aqua Satan will let me do another couple of runs this week and try and build up the time.

After a quick breakfast we headed off for one of Mr lulu and I's gourmet walks. This involves doing a nice walk, usually somewhere around the harbour which ends up at a nice restaurant. Today we caught the ferry to Taronga Zoo and then walked along the harbour to Balmoral. The path has recently been opened up to pass through the old defence area at Georges Heights and so now you can go all the way to Balmoral along the harbour forshore. The path would now allow you to go all the way from Taronga Zoo to North Head, as it joins the Spit Bridge to Manly trail. You could do a nice run along this harbour path and I'll have to suggest it to Jen and the Owl when we are ready to tackle something adventurous! Our walk today was only 7km but you could go a lot further.

The gourmet part was satisfied by having a very nice lunch at the Balmoral Bathers cafe; delicious! We caught the bus back to Taronga, the ferry back to the City and then home in the lulumobile.

Week 1 summary:
3 hydro sessions
1 run 3km
2 Pilates classes

Weight lost: this week 1.5kg (total 1.5kg) (hopefully todays' gourmet lunch hasn't undone all the good work!


Week 2 plan.
Monday: Aqua-satan (60 mins) and Pilates
Tuesday: Spin class and weights
Weds: either Aqua Satan or a run, and Pilates
Thursday: Spin class and weights
Friday: Aqua Satan, water running or a run, and Pilates
Saturday: Water running 45 mins
Sunday: Run 40 mins, I hope!

10 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Jen said...

No need to suggest that to me Lulu - that trail is quite simply my favourite place to run in the world & my regular weekend route! I would run that trail every day if I could

Glad to hear that your knee went well. That's great news!

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I go away and you have all these changes :-). I'm interested to know where you got the flotation belt and how you got onto a physio who knows about water running. Please let me know.

TA

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Shane said...

Hopefully the knee/ITB will pull up nicely tomorrow. You had good variety of training over the last week. Congrats on the weight loss, good luck with next weeks program hopefully aqua-satan will allow you to complete a few more grass runs.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Great news that you got through 30 mins with no pain.

Go on, celebrate!

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on the 1.5kg. Using Kit's visualisation this is 1 1/2 tubs of margarine that you no longer have attached to your body.

One of our favourite runs is one we do from Anderson Park to Balmoral. But I previously you couldn't get throught the military bit - I will have to give it a go next time we are over there.

wt

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Promising news on the injuries.
Well done on the dieting.
Hope Mr Lulu is keeping in shape too. A lot of men let themselves go after getting married to the woman of their dreams.

In answer to your query, nice DJ did surface last week. He only comes out once a year, so that's it for 2006. Great to be back to the regular DJ.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Well done Lulu. If that was my weekend program I would asleep by now but I suppose the ducacell bunny just keeps on going. Sounds like a great place to run!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Yay 30 mins with no pain - fantasmagorical lulu - well done.

That walk sounds pretty speckie too...

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

30 minutes is just great Lulu. Well done !

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger miners said...

What a fantastic weekend lulu! That route you've tracked over near the zoo just looks fantastic (particularly for this remote little country boy)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home