Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Hydro girl!

Sunday's run went out the window when I still felt a bit tight in the ITB so I just did a pilates class instead.

Monday was down to the hydro pool to see the physio or aqua-satan as I think I shall call him if Jen doesn't mind! He certainly likes to work you hard!

Having told him I wanted to do the half marathon in May he looked a bit worried but I've been back again today and he's fairly confident that it gives us time for me to get fit and strong enough to do it pain free which is excellent news! Monday's session was lots of stretching, some core stability work and then about 15 mins of water running in the hydro pool.

Tuesday I tried a short run on grass; about 3km around Queens Park. I taped my knee and didn't really get much knee pain, only a few twinges so I should be able to do some short runs on grass at least.

Today we did a much tougher session in the hydro pool; 5 min warm up ( basically walking and some long strides across the pool, then stretches and then some about 25 mins of cardio + strengthening. I would do 1 min running at 75% effort and then 1 min of a strengthening exercise. Then we did about 10 mins running varying between 50-75% effort. It certainly gets the heart rate up. Apparently you have to adjust heart rate for being in the pool . For example my heart rate after the session was about 130 which is equivalent to 145 on land. I was wondering if you got the leg strength you need by running in the water but after that session my quads felt like they'd done a run. The session ended with some more core stability and upper body work. A pretty good hour's session where I felt I had really good all over workout.

I'll be back on Friday for another session and then next week I'll be starting my deep water running training programme I think. He has a programme that involves running 5 days per week with a variety of sessions mixing up interval training and then long steady runs up to about 70 mins. The pool in my gym is not deep enough but Aqua-Satan's wife recommends Clovelly beach or Bronte pool as she is currently trying out the deep water running as she is recovering from a stress fracture. While it's summer it should be a good place to go and hopefully I won't still be doing it when it's not hot!

My other appointment on Monday was with Dr Ludka who was recommended to The Owl. A somewhat eccentric Dr but very thorough. Her initial diagnosis is that I have an underactive thyroid. I have all the symptoms in bucket loads apparently: the constant fatigue, feeling cold, very low blood pressure (94/57), low body temperature, weight gain, other hormones all over the place and so on. I'm hopeful she's right but I know it's often not that simple. She's given me forms for blood tests so extensive it looks like I'll have an empty arm. Won't be able to do them for a couple of weeks as I have to be in the right point in my cycle (of non bike type!) so she can check oestrogen and progesterone levels as well. Fingers crossed that we'll crack it this time and she's right as it would be very nice to get my mojo back.

Interestingly with both my current issues; knee problems and lack of mojo, I probably wouldn't have noticed unless I ran. I think that's a good thing. For example, Aqua-Satan's patients are mostly people who have had serious surgery such as hip or knee replacements. I have some of the same biomechanical issues that they do and his view is, deal with it now and hopefully you'll never need a hip replacement. If I didn't run I wouldn't know and perhaps eventually would need something more serious. The same applies to my lack of energy. Running makes me feel it more acutely and has made me persist in looking for answers, rather than just accept that it's my age, or that I am destined to be fat and lazy!

Although I'm frustrated that I can't get really back into my training, and I'm really missing my running buddies, I'm feeling pretty positive. Aqua-satan's goal is to get me running for the long term, pain free; stronger and fitter than ever before. If I can also sort out my other issues and get some weight off, there should be no stopping me. Fingers crossed anyway!

10 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Katie said...

There WILL be NO stopping you!!! you will be back and iot sounds like your getting things sorted!! You are missed... we will have to arrange a catch up :-)

Keep that chin up... come for a walk at the park and drop by and say Hi!!

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Sounds a like a religious cult - total immersion into a hydro program.
We want Lulu back.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger miners said...

It sounds like the plans you're setting (or having set for you) are sound lulu. I recall the last few months of 2005 were suggesting something a little more amiss than just getting over that lurgy. I hope the Doc (Ludka makes me think of transylvania for some reason...) gets some positive results from the tests so you can get on with treating whatever it turns out to be.

Enjoy the controlled drowning in the meantime :)

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Gronk said...

Sorry to see your still not right Lulu. Lets hope the deep water stuff and the new Doc will solve it all swiftly.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Wow Lulu, you sure do have some great people looking after you there. I really like the long-term preventative approach.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Jen said...

A long term plan is good - hopefully we will both be right come the SMH Half.

Aqua-satan - hehe, I love it!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Hey lulu - you sound more like Hydro Majestic to me ;-)

I'm back in blog comment land - just read your 2006 plans - yep looks like a plan to me too.

Let me know when you are having a crack at the 10k PB because I'd like to come and run beside you.

Cheers, 2P

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger the_en4cer said...

I'd lend you some of my mojo if I could! I hope the good Doc Ludka gets you out and about soon and aqua-satan looks after you.

 
At 2:37 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

A pesar de los malestares sigues logrando mucho, eres muy fuerte!

Ojala que esos estudios den buenos resultados para que estes pronto al 100%!!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Shane said...

Good news Lulu that you have all these great professionals looking after you.

Water running conditions the legs the same as on the land. All the muscles, joints etc get the same if not more of a workout. The major difference is that the water gives support, therefore your lower body isn't being subjected to the impact of pounding the pavement so to speak, therefore you need to take is easy on your return to harder surfaces.

Fingers crossed that you are back on the road in no time. Take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home