Monday, January 02, 2006

New Year's Day run

After a late night seeing the new year in we managed to get out of the door for a new year's day run at about 7.15 and it was already hot. I set off not committed to a particular time or course until I worked out how I felt. Not too bad but legs seem to have forgotten in two weeks what running is all about and after 2kms I had a short walk break and then did another 2.5kms.

Slow and sluggish but the really good news was that there was no knee pain and I felt that the right knee was tracking better and the glute and VMO doing a bit more work. Hopefully if I build up slowly over the next couple of weeks and continue the strengthening programme as well we may have stopped the problem getting any worse. The real test will come when I do longer runs as that was when I really start to notice.

All in all a good start to the year!

5 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Katie said...

If your knee was well behaved that is great news!!! that means you can gradually build up your distance again while you are getting all the muscles stronger. I did this with my ITB and it worked really well- because by running and working on the muscles they are learning how to work functionally. That is great news!!! Kerry would like to meet up with you for some runs... she is also rebuilding.

Happy New year... your back on the right track :-)

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo :-)

That's fantastic news Lulu. I'm glad your first run of the new year went well (though I hate to be reminded of how hard it's going to be for me after 2+ months off!)

So when is your next spin class ?

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Sounds like a great start to the year Lulu! Happy new year to you and yours!

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Shane said...

Firstly great effort getting up early for a run after a late night, especially after seeing the weather in New South yesterday.

On a serious note, excellant news about the knee, forget about the speed the main thing is that you got through it without any concerns.:)

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger R2B said...

Well done on going for a run Lulu!
I had a 6.6km race planned for 3pm but it got cancelled...something about heartattacks and heatstrokes...Damn OHS!

Hope your knee stays well for you and have a great new year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home