Friday, January 06, 2006

Lotsa stuff!

I may not have been bloggin' but I've been busy doing lots of different things!

Yesterday I went to the gym, did my weights programme and then did a Spin class. No knee pain doing either which is good so this morning I headed out to do a lap of the internal track at Centennial Park. In total we did 7.7km in 49 mins and it was lovely being out in the cooler Sydney weather. We started off at quite a good pace and then I had a slump in the middle when I thought the extra Christmas kilos were weighing me down but then after I'd run up the hill on Macpherson St I was feeling strong again. We're aiming for 10km on Sunday.

My knee is definitely happier running on grass than on the road so I'm going to stick to as many grass tracks as possible in the next few weeks.

After my run and a banana I dashed up the road to visit a new physio who came highly recommended by a girlfriend who is recovering from a back operation. He operates a hydrotherapy practice at the War Memorial Hospital as well as being a normal physio. I liked him because he didn't give me the "you're the wrong shape to run" or " biomechanics are rubbish" speech that some physios give me but went straight to the "how to fix you so you can meet your running goals" bit. After a quick land based assessment it was into the pool for some exercises and stretches. He then had me tethered to the wall in a harness so I could do some running which was interesting and quite hard work in a warm pool ( I felt like a pony, or perhaps in my case a carthorse!).

The result is he thinks it's definitely fixable and all the work I've been doing over the last few weeks has definitely helped the situation which is good news. He's shown me how to strap my knee and he wants me to experiment with that over the next few days to see if I can work out where the tape needs to be to give the maximum support and reduction in knee pain when squatting or running. I have to report back to him on Monday with a list of my running goals (easy to do as the're right here!) and then he'll develop a programme that includes some land based stretching and strengthening and then some water running so that I can do some training in the pool, so that I don't do all my running on the road, until the knee is better. Sounds like quite a good plan and I'll be interested to see what he comes up with on Monday.

11 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger Katie said...

See all you need is a GOOD physio!! That is great news. Yes I do need a friend at training... I may not have used the word chubby :-) You are definately missed!!! I am looking forward to your return. I am just ignoring the comments- you can only run for your self. Very easy to get drawn into that crap... and start to feel bad!!!

Hurry back!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Sounds like some good advice and a positive outlook! Cause for a celebration I think?

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Sounds great Lulu. I'll be very interested to hear your comments after your session on Monday.

Looking forward to our scenic swim tomorrow :-)

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

What a great physio you have found! Its so good to find somebody that takes your running as seriously as you do.

Good thinking re the grass too, its much gentler not just on the knees but on the entire body.

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lulu

Aunty K is a big fan of deep water running. She referred me to some web sites a while ago. Unfortunately I don't have the links anymore but maybe if you contact her she might be able to provide some advice.

wt

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger CJ said...

The right physio is very important - believe me, I've been through a few of them! My current physio is a runner himself so that helps!

Enjoy your swim tomorrow!

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good to know you've found someone who has gained your confidence, Lulu. I hope the problem gets sorted out quickly so that you can run up Macpherson Street stronger than ever.....what a hill that is! I suppose you start down at the beach?

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Yeh, about time we got an update!! (said with a mild dose of hypocrisy)

Racehorse in the sea was the vision I had come to mind.
Good to see the ailments are fixable.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Lulu, that's why you have fish in your banner! It's all the time you're spending in the water :-)

A good physio is more precious than gold. Hang on to him. (Of course, the better the physio, the less you have to see of them in the long run, so here's to the day he doesn't say "see you next week" :-)

sfG

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

Cada vez estas mas fuerte y ahora que estas con ese entrenador, aun estaras mas enfocada.

Que bueno que tu rodilla ha mejorado pronto.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Shane said...

Great news lulu, like the others said it is good when you actually find someone who cares and understands. Good luck with your sunday run. Look forward to hearing about the plan the Physio has for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home