Thursday, March 23, 2006

Almost a return to SWEAT

I went down to Centennial Park with Mr lulu this morning as he went to tackle Big Bertha with the SWEAT crew. I headed off for a lap of the inside of the park. I decided to try out my knee on a harder surface and so ran on the path rather than the grass. Result: good, no knee pain so I will gradually increase the amount of running I do on harder surfaces over the next few weeks.

Then the next part of the experiment was to try out some 100m strides and see what happened. Result: good no niggles and it all felt fine.

The only niggle I felt was a twinge which seemed to swap from achilles to achilles.

I managed to have a quick chat with Sean about my stride length as well. His verdict was to give it a try, pick up the cadence and then as I get stronger to increase the stride length again. He said it would definitely help with less injuires particularly the knee and achilles as it puts less pressure on. So I'll stick to trying to do quicker, shorter strides for the time being.

Now my next question is about pace of my runs. Having a look at the Macmillan pace guide, based on my 5km time from the end of last year my easy runs should be done at between 6.55 and 7.14 pace and long runs at 6.55-7.32 pace. I tried today to run at a slower pace but I'm so used to pushing myself all the time I found it quite hard. My run today was at 6.22 before I did the strides. Should I try to do the long and easy runs a bit slower or should I not worry about it for someone at my level?

Food:
B: Jaffa PS
MT: Cottage cheese and apple

L: Jaffa, another job lot!
AT: Sculpt bar
Pre-CR drinks snack; Protein ball, a strategy to stop me eating the stuff at the pub which worked
Dinner: Roast chicken with couscous and salad, and a few of Mr lulu's chips.. naughty but nice!

10 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

I can help you go slower Lulu :)

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Lulu

At the moment I am not worrying about my pace too much but am trying just to get the distance back up. I figure that pace can come later.

I run according to how I feel and it seems to be working for me.

wt

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

I think wildthing is on a winner.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Yeah WT's words are wise...

The time to start running your long runs slower is when they start to lengthen out significantly past the length of your normal weekday runs - nature will probably give you a hand here ;-) Also feel free to chuck in some walk breaks as they get longer.

Good to see you out on hard surfaces again - congratulations lulu :-)

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger strewth said...

Great run Lulu - can't wait to meet you in Canberra.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Good to hear that you are running with no niggles. I think just run according tohow you feel without pushing yourself - you should feel comfortable. At the moment pace shouldn't really be an issue - consistency is more important.

As for the Lindt chocolate - I'm particularly partial to the dark chocolate and I will be keeping an eye out for you at the end of the marathon!!! I'll be holding you to that chocolate and coffee promise - that's all I'll be focusing on for 42.195km!!!!! ;-)

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Wobbly man said...

Well done Lulu! Long runs are about time on legs - not speed. So my suggestion (like wt) is also to run at a comfortable feeling pace. Less chance of injuries too :)

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger R2B said...

Lulu
Do try to run at the pace guide pace.
I think 75% of my recent improvement has come from running at an easier pace than previously!
ie instead of going easy at 5min/km
my training guide says to go at 5.30/km
and it seems to be working for me.
I believe the idea behind it you are exclusively training your aerobic system rather than part of you anaerobic system as well.

Cheers R2B

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Good on you Lulu! WT is right,,,, run how you feel and worry about pace later. As your getting stronger you will start to naturally go faster. For my easy runs I have been just running according to how my body feels on the day... sometimes that is faster or slower. I figure if the breathing and heart rate is up back off a bit... but if I am running a bit faster and it feels ok I just keep it up.

Hope to see you back soon. How did steve go on BB??

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Fantastic news about your return to the hard stuff Lulu; woohoo!!

It was lovely to catch up with you (albeit briefly) last night

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home