Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Soggy Tuesday

It was tempting to stay in bed when I woke up and it was dark and raining. But no I hopped out and headed out into the damp Sydney morning. Actually it was quite refreshing and only a light rain. 35 mins on the programme this morning and my legs were feeling fresh despite the battering they received yesterday from Easy Tiger.

Today I decided to concentrate on cadence. I have a very long stride and slow cadence and in some discussions and reading I've done this could be part of the issue with my string of injuries as I over stride and land ahead of my body and my cadence is very slow. So today I concentrated on smaller but quicker strides. Consequently I zipped up the road to Queen's Park and did the first km in 5.45 which considering it's mostly uphill is pretty speedy for me; no wonder I was out of breath by the time I hit the park.

I did one lap of the whole park, a lap of the oval and then headed back down the road and finished with a lap of Evans street and then home. In total 35 mins 5.75km at an average pace of 6.06/km which is fast by my standards. I was probably working a bit outside my easy run pace there but it didn't feel too bad. The quicker shorter strides made me feel much lighter on my feet so I'll continue focussing on this for a while. Any comments from you experienced runners on whether this is a good plan or not ?
Niggles: Slight grumble in the left itb. this is a weird one; it's not the dodgy knee, the VMO is quite strong on this leg and according to Easy Tiger, it's not particularly tight. Will have to keep a close eye on it though.

Food:
B:Black forest PS
MT:Bounce protein ball
L: Jaffa PS
AT: 4 oatcakes, cott. cheese and a yummy nashi pear
D: Chicken maryland with sage and proscuitto, with roasted parsnip and pumpkin, a yoghurt.

7 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the weight loss.

It sounds as though your running is starting to come along really well. Excellent!

wt

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger miners said...

Hopefully the new injury isn't related to the new stride length - it's a good theory about the over-striding that you've picked up though. I imagine a more compact running action would have to have less potential for injury. Will be interested to see what E.Tiger makes of it, and how things pan out over the next week of experimentation

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger 2P said...

Well done getting out there in the rain - must confess I just reset the alarm this morning.

Jeff Galloway promotes the smaller steps faster turnover thing http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Interesting.... my physio said there is a heap of new research stating that a long stride is contributing to injuries. He told me to focus on shorter stride but higher knee lift. He gets me to stand side on to a mirror and practice ggod form ie knee lift and arm movement... you might be onto something?

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Stride length and leg speed would be a good question for Sean.
Shorter steps works for particular speeds and distances. I'd go with what running you enjoy most, and what might reduce injuries.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Interesting about the stride thing Lulu. I always wished I had a longer stride, it looks so much more athletic!

Thanks so much on the water running tips. Great idea! Previously I had just been trying to keep the same pace/exertion rate for each lap. This arvo I tried some shorter faster stuff like you recommended. It felt good to be able to push harder.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

next race is striders at the Domain 1 April, but I've volunteered for officiating. Some officiating jobs like registrations allow a start. so waiting for allocated duties. I won't be going too fast anyway, carrying around the course my massive VMO.

Next race after that is probably May.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home