Friday, March 31, 2006

Running: good one day, *%^&$ the next!

As I'm in Queensland I thought I'd adapt their little tagline to suit my purposes.
After another not so great night’s sleep I got up to find a slightly stiff right achilles and left itb. A sensible person would probably have decided to give today’s run a miss but who said I was sensible. I had arranged to meet one of the guys I do some work with for a run so thought I had better turn up. When I went down to the lobby he was there saying he had a sore knee and being more sensible than me, was not going to run.

I headed out down to the river and started out. Nothing felt very good, my right knee started to niggle, but settled down. The run went a bit like this: run a bit.. oh that feels a bit strange, stop and stretch, get going again, god this is hard work today…now my achilles is aching, stop and stretch, get going again, maybe I should turn around and go back now, no I’ll go a bit further, stop and stretch the itb, make it to the Story Bridge, turn around, now the left knee is hurting, stop and walk for a while, god this is taking too long, start running again, everything feels OK, run for a bit, walk for a bit, make it back to the city, walk back to the hotel.. my poor old dodgy right knee is not feeling so hot now….bugger.

With all the stuffing about I was out for about 1hr to do about 38 mins running. Not sure what to make of all the niggles, except I pushed my luck doing two runs on harder surfaces plus yesterday’s hills. I’ll be back to Easy Tiger fairly soon. Hope I haven’t set myself back too much.

The day’s highlight was meeting Clairie and Tesso for coffee and lots of running chat. As ever, lovely to catch up with them and share injury woes with Tesso and hear all about Clairie’s Canberra plans. Can’t wait to cheer her on to a glorious triumph! I hope we can cheer Tesso on too; I’ve got everything crossed for all of you who are battling stooopid injuiries.

8 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

This is what any of us want to hear, not again, what is happening that injuries are all around.. grr!

Ask Jen and visit the same doctor she is, sounds a terrific and wise doctor, take that opportunity you have there!
It will take you to the root of the injurie, which seems you haven't changed yet.

Take it easy, still it was a great effort!!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger 2P said...

Hehehe glad to read I'm not the only one who does this kind of thing ;-)

On the bright side we are keeping a kid in business!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

aw that sucks lulu. please take it easy. maybe it was just something in the QLD air... fingers crossed for a return-to-sydney miracle cure :)

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

So good to catch up with you Lulu. Once again our 'meeting' was way too short.

Hope the knee is feeling better. Maybe it was just a twinge warning you of the rain that was about to hit.

See ya in Canberra.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Clairie said...

I think it was just your legs telling you to forget the run and head to breakfast.

Was great to catch up again and I will feel very goosepimply when I see you in Canberra cheering me on because we have had these little tete'a'tetes (whatever they r called....) just bear in mind I might now be in the position to wave or smile back :)

Take care and p.s. go and eat something!!!!

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Sounds a bit frustrating all those niggles.

Might be something in the water up there. I'm sure you'll come good at Bronte.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

It's got to be a maroon thing. You'll be fine when you get back to SWEATy Sydney.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger R2B said...

Injuries Bah humbug!
Go away!

(if only it was that easy!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home