Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Ironman update

It's been a few days since I've had a chance to post so I'll try and be brief!

We headed up on Saturday afternoon to Port Macquarie to meet up with the rest of the cheersquad at our accomodation. Very pleasant it was too. We'd packed six bottles of wine as fuel for the cheersquad but the girls only managed to drink four at dinner; very disappointing:)

We got up early with the intention of watching the start but missed it; oops cheersquad 101, get to the start on time. We did manage to catch Minersrun at the transition to the bike before we headed off for our own little bit of activity.

We knew they'd be out on the bike for at least 5 or 6 hours and so we went for a run. I headed off with Jen_runs and The Owl whilst Go Girl borrowed Mr Lulu and headed off for a long run. Us gals headed onto a short trail in the middle of town that wove it's way along paths and boardwalks. One lap saw us back at the start in about 30 mins. This was the longest run either Jen or the Owl had done of late so there was much celebrating. I headed off for another semi-lap as all the Brisbane induced niggles were still in Brisbane :) I did a total of 55 mins. I was sooooo excited I was dancing about for the rest of the morning. 55 mins and no problems! It was a good thing the girls were with me as I realised when I unpacked that I had no running socks, no tape for my knee, no hat and no sunscreen. All provided by Go Girl, Jen and the Owl. I should take them with me everywhere!

After this triumph we returned to our B and B and waited for the long runners to return before heading down to the end of the road and watching the bikes go by. We saw Minersrun a couple of times before we headed off to lunch. After lunch we positioned ourselves at the bottom of a hill on the run leg and resumed cheering. The afternoon was spent chanting out people's numbers, getting very excited if we spotted Miners, DB or anyone else we recognised and generally trying to pump up the Iron men and women.

The highlight of this for me was getting big smiles and waves from the runners as they went past and they realised we were chanting their number. Some who were walking even started running again as they past us. After about 4 hours of standing and cheering we were getting pretty tired and were relieved to see Minersrun come around on his second lap. We hopped in the car and headed to the finish in time to see Minersrun run triumphantly into the finish chute!

Very inspirational, but not to do an Ironman. I can't believe he's already talking about doing it again next year.... madness. All in all a great weekend and it was great to run with the girls again as well as spend the weekend in their company.

Monday we drove back to Sydney and today I headed out for another run. I had a 7.30 meeting so this was a short sharp 25 mins before heading into the City. Another session with Easy Tiger has loosened up my left itb which seems to be the worst of my troubles at the moment.

Food blogging has fallen by the wayside but I'll start that again tomorrrow. However,
Weekly weigh-in:
Weight lost .6kg (total 2.6kgs)..slowly, slowly getting there.

I've also added up my kms for March and have a grand total of 71km. A big improvement on last months and hopefully I'll be able to build it up from there.

4 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger Don Juan said...

Well done on an iron-cheersquad effort.

Good news on the 55 min run. Plenty of time for a gradual buildup for next year's ironman. You've already got the support crew.

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Hilda said...

What a nice weekend you had, runner friends should be the best!

I waited forever for this report, how nice you could enjoy watching Miners and the rest of the Ironman!

It seems that it is harder to loose weight being a runner and an already fit person, but go on, your diet always inpires me.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger miners said...

Fantastic cheering report - and even better news on the 55 minute run without niggles! Must have been that lovely Port Macquarie climate - does wonders for us runners :)

Thank you so much for coming up. It was fantastic to see you. Only wish I had more time to say hello than at the bottom of that hill!

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

That's fantastic Lulu, 55 minutes!!! I'm so glad those Brissie niggles didn't hang around, Clairie and I would've been feeling very guilty.

What a fun weekend. We might have to get a Qld contingent there next year if Miners is backing up for anothery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home