Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Mission accomplished

We drove down to Canberra on Saturday morning and arrived in time for me to get ready for the 10km race. We headed down to the start and found Jen and Go Girl and I headed off to do a lap around the school to warm up.

I lined up with Running Angel and Mouse and the gun went off. RA shot off like a startled rabbit while Mouse and I took a more conservative approach. It's a funny course with two short laps around the school and then 3 bigger laps. There is a small hill at the back of the school which you have the pleasure of running up 5 times. Mouse and I did the two laps around the school and then Mouse dropped off the pace a little and I was flying solo. The first two kms were around 5.40 pace which was quicker than I had intended but I didn't feel too bad. As it turns out Garth was measuring the course a bit long so I probably wasn't going too fast. I started to ignore his 1km reps and just go by the course markings. The first 5kms went by in 30 mins and 3o secs so I was behind the hour mark.

I tried picking up the pace for the second big lap and then I spotted Running Angel up ahead so I set myself the goal of halving the gap on this lap and catching her in the next. As it happens she started to walk and I caught and passed her half way though this lap. It will probably be the last time that happens as she'll soon be back to full fitness.

The last lap seemed a lot longer but I was still overtaking people, which was a good feeling. I crossed the line in 61.01 according to Garth so at least the 5km splits were even and I didn't slow too much in the second half. In fact, I felt pretty comfortable the whole way around. I was pretty happy with that considering I hadn't done that much training and it's the first 10km I've run for about 18 months and my PB is 60 mins. Even better, the niggle stayed pretty much away apart from a short burst of complaining from the achilles at about 9km.

The support out on the course was great with people cheering for me at various points. I looked forward to passing the finish area each time as I had first Clairie, then CJ, Strewth, Aki, and Ewen, and then Jen, GG and Mr lulu. I'm sure Tesso was in there somewhere as well. Nice to be the cheered rather than the cheerer for a change.

Back to our apartment for a shower and stretch and then a good dose of TV watching and I cooked Mr lulu his big pasta dinner. He was incredibly relaxed and had a good night's sleep whilst I was tossing and turning but trying not to disturb him.

Off to the start where I caught up with Jen and Go Girl again. Back to cheering duties today. Mr lulu went for a quick warm up and then lined up. We waved them off at the start and then haeded down to Cowbell Corner with a take-away coffee and muffin as sustenance and CR Mango for company.

Mr lulu went zooming past on his first pass (around 10km) in about 42 mins and I told him he was going too fast. I then spent the next hour or so driving Mango and Jen mad, saying "oooh I think he's gone out too fast" . Next time he came past was at the 26km point which was about 1.47, so he was still keeping up the faster pace.

After waiting for Go Girl and the rest of the CRs and Sean's squad to pass I decided it was time to head to the finish line. I'd just hung up from Easy Tiger, giving him an update and going "oooh I think he's gone out too fast" when a few minutes later Mr lulu appeared to turn into the finishing stretch. I couldn't quite believe my eyes. He gave us a cheery smile as he passed us and finished in 3.03.12. What a fantastic run and I was so proud of him. A 25 minute PB no less! So mission accomplished for Mr lulu, of course now he will have to run at least one more as the three hour mark is sooo close.

I went to give him his towel and drink and then went back to cheering the rest of our friends home. Go Girl came cruising by looking very comfortable in achieving her new PB too.

Once we'd seen most of the CRs home we headed back for a quick shower before having brunch with the gang and then heading back for a nana nap.

We had a lovely lunch with CJ and Strewth on Monday before driving back to Sydney in the afternoon.

I couldn't quite believe that Mr lulu got up and did a 20 min run on Monday and he is surprisingly unscathed. We went out again this morning and I still had to ask him to slow down so I could keep up! I was a bit stiff as well from the 10km but felt pretty good on my 40 mins this morning so it's back to training for me and a few weeks of taking it easy for Mr lulu whilst he consults Sean and works out what to do next.

11 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

What a great weekend for the two of you. I'm really pleased you did the 10k in such a consistent time and the niggles behaved mostly well.

Big congrats to Steve on such a confident and strong PB run and yes, he does have to do another one!

TA

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Roses said...

Lulu,
great to hear you are close to PB form. I know what a long frustrating road with injury you have had and am really thrilled for you. Well done!
As for Steve, what a wonderful time. He has trained so hard and a well deserved result.

Roses

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Ellie80 said...

yeo that was a great run lulu - particularly given the lack of racing lately. There is no stopping you now!! Steve runs fast!! but we knew that already!

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Gronk said...

Great to see your doing well. We (the Bride & kids) saw RA run past us so we must have just missed you !

We done to WTR on his mammoth PB. Running 20mins on Monday is just plain silly. ;-)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Great results for both of you Lulu, good to see you are in such fine form and an awesome result for Mr Lulu too!

Hopefully I'll catch up with you soon - will you be at the SMH half?

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Tesso said...

Yes, I was there. Though I do admit I did watched for about 10 minutes while lying on my couch and looking out the motel door as my back was hurting a little from being on my feet all day :-)

Guess I've gotta work on my loudness ... I do have a good coach in Clairie though so shouldn't be a problem.

Congrats on a great run. You did look to be running very comfortably and strongly. Big congrats to WTR too. What a team you two make :-)


PS Thanks so very much for you support Sunday.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger 2P said...

Great stuff on the 10k Lulu - congratulations mate - that sub 60 is looking mighty close ;-)

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

You looked so smooth out there! Must be Sean's coaching :) That's not an easy course - 5 times up that hill. You'd run 2 minutes quicker on a flat course.

Congrats also to Steve - brilliant! You were right to think he shouldn't have run that fast.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Hilda said...

What a nice effort and good experience.

Congratulations for MR Lulu he ran and amazing mark!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Horrie said...

Congratulations on running so well in the 10km Lulu. You are certainly on the way back. I hope the body holds together for you. Now I also know the secret to Steve's stunning marathon as well - home cooked pasta dinner. No wonder he looked so great out there. See you both soon.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger PortRunr said...

Great to see you both last weekend.
Congratulations on a relatively trouble free and well run 10km on Saturday. And congrats to Steve on a brilliant run on Sunday...I was a bit out of it at the time to appreciate it! Thank you very much for the support out there on the course :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home