Sunday, March 29, 2009

A return to the wacky races

I think we can call it a successful week as I'm pretty sure I just ran a 4km PB. I can't remember what my 4km PB is but I'm sure it's a lot slower than 22.22 which is what I ran today at the Sri Chimnoy Centennial Park race. It was a bit chaotic as I think they had a lot more people turn up than they expected and so we didn't start until 30 mins after we were supposed. So much for the 1km warm up I did just before I thought we'd be starting!

We were the last group to get going and I got stuck in behind a group of girls running 4 abreast but once clear I was on my way. It's a bit rough in places the CP course but good fun. My 1km splits were: 5.48, 5.45,5.43, 5.06 (5.25 pace, as the Garmin measured the course a bit short). I'll call it a cross country PB anyway even if it is a little short. I started to feel sick in the last 500m so I must have been doing it right :)

Apart from that, this week has been extremely busy at work with some long days and a million meetings, plus Ellie and I did a speaking engagement which was extra work.

I managed a reasonable effort at training:
Mon - gym and cross training
Tues - Intervals 5 x400s in a mixture of times but they got faster at least! They seemed really hard this week and I think running in the dark on the oval makes me a bit slower as I got faster as it started to get light.
Weds - rest day
Thurs- another rest day as I had the talk in the morning and Italian classes in the evening
Fri - Will the trainer. I managed to dead lift 45 kgs which I'm quite proud of. I'll be picking up Mr lulu and throwing him around the house soon;)
Sat: 5km easy with a few hills along the coastal path. I haven't done the coast path for ages and I quite enjoyed it for a change- even the hills. Since I developed a bit of strength hills seem to be a bit easier and I can keep a nice bounce up the hills for a short time... then I walk the rest. I think I prefer that to slowing down to a plod so I can make it all the way. Eventually I assume I'll be able to bounce all the way!
Sun: about 6.5km in total including a warm and cool down.

It was certainly good to be out racing again and I look forward to another race in a few weeks. I'll tackle the 8km at the next one and see how I get on. The hammy is a bit irritated by today's race, but should recover in a day or so and a trip to the Tiger's den. I may have to consider a visit to the physio if it continues to flare up.

5 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Yah!!!!!

Well done on your new cross country PB! I'm so happy that you are back racing again :-)

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Ewen said...

That's great Lulu. Well done! Comfortably under 6 minute kilometres too.

Don't go too hard on the weight training or Mr Lulu might break something next time you throw him around the house.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger miners said...

A PB!! And I thought there hadn't been any truly exciting announcements from Sunday :)

congrats lovey!

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

E vaiiiii!!! Congrats for the PR and the negative split.
Other important adventures are waiting for you.

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger running uphill said...

Congratulations on a great time Lulu!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home